Last night, our 2014-2015 season got underway with a dozen attendees, three junior leaders and six adults.
Since the gymnasium (the unit’s usual meeting area) is off-limits due to pending construction work, we’ll be meeting in the lower adult lounge. Special care will be taken to avoid scuffing the walls as this room was recently redecorated, but that won’t stop us from having great games and participation.
Like most meetings, ours follows a predictable pattern or agenda:
- Opening ceremony (flag presentation, Pledge of Allegiance, opening prayer, recitation of the CSB Motto and then announcements)
- Game time led by our junior rangers
- While we normally have a supervised activity, we focused on orientation for the new season this evening.
- A story time with open discussion
- Closing ceremony and clean-up of room
Some highlights of this particular meeting:
- Chief Ranger Dave introduced our unit theme verse – Psalm 18:03 (based on our unit number #1803) “I called on the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies”
- “Steal the Bacon” was taken to a new calculating level with the introduction of math problems to figure out who was supposed to run, etc.
- The “Helium Arrow” team building exercise was introduced
- Rangers Paul and Stephen were introduced to the group by delivering their testimony and answering questions from the boys (Paul and Stephen were formerly scoutmasters with Boy Scouts of America, and are both Eagle Scouts)
Next week will be an outdoors meeting featuring a campfire program!